Did You Know?
Grant proposals are due in the Office of Research Administration (or Office of Grants & Contracts in SOM) at least 5 working days before the sponsor’s deadline. This allows time for an institutional review and correction of errors or omissions. As soon as you decide to submit a grant, contact your designated ORA or OGC specialist to let him/her know to expect your proposal. All funding proposals are now submitted on-line through the Sparta system.
Office of Research Administration: https://research.case.edu/index.cfm
Office of Grants & Contracts in SOM: http://casemed.case.edu/grantscontracts/
Sparta System: https://sparta.case.edu/.
Ohio Third Frontier (OTF), Ohio Development Services Agency
The goal of the Ohio Third Frontier Technology Validation and Start-Up Fund (TVSF) is to increase economic growth in Ohio through start-up companies that commercialize technologies developed by Ohio institutions of higher education and other Ohio not-for-profit research institutions. Two separate mechanisms have been set up to achieve these goals:
Phase 1 –Technology Validation The specific objectives of this phase are as follows:
• To generate the proof needed to move technology to the point that it is either ready to be licensed by an Ohio start-up company or otherwise deemed unfeasible for commercialization.
• To fund validation activities, such as prototyping, demonstrations, and assessment of critical failure points in subsequent development, scale-up, and commercialization.
Phase 2 – Start-Up Funds The specific objectives of this phase are as follows:
• To support Ohio start-up companies that have licensed technology developed at Ohio research institutions during the critical early life of the company, and accelerate the time to market of this technology.
• To generate the proof needed to either commercialize the technology or move the technology to the point where additional funds needed for commercialization can be raised.
• To fund activities in order to generate the needed proof.
The TVSF will support technology that falls within the following areas: Advanced Materials related to advanced polymers, ceramics, composites, carbon fibers and nanotubes and specialty metals and alloys; Aeropropulsion Power Management; Agribusiness and Food Processing; Fuel Cells and Energy Storage; Medical Technology related to imaging, surgical instruments/equipment, implant devices, and regenerative medicine; Software Applications for business and healthcare; Sensing and Automation Technologies; Situational Awareness and Surveillance Systems; Solar Photovoltaics; and Shale.
Potential CWRU Applicants - Contact:
Michael Haag, MS, MBA, Executive Director, Technology Management, 216-368-6106 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the TVSF visit the Ohio Third Frontier website.
Parkinson’s Disease Foundation
Are you interested in further Parkinson’s science? Join the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation (PDF) team by becoming a PDF-funded research, clinician, or fellow.
Visit the PDF website for more information on the 2014-2015 PDF Grant Program deadlines.
Marquette University, with a generous grant from the Templeton Religion Trust, is pleased to announce a new research initiative on the topics of the self, motivation, and virtue. Approximately ten research proposals at $190,000 each will be funded through this initiative.
The grant competition has four primary aims:
1. To support innovative research on the self, motivation, and virtue.
2. To encourage methodological innovation in the study of the self, motivation, and virtue.
3. To encourage interdisciplinary team work, specifically between social science and humanities.
4. To support scholars new to the investigation of these topics or who have not received funding elsewhere. Research collaborations between younger and more established scholars are especially encouraged.
Research into character and virtue is often conducted by scholars from within a single disciplinary perspective. This disciplinary isolationism is not maximally productive of new knowledge about virtue. To ensure that research funded by this proposal closes the disciplinary gap, successful teams will be comprised of at least one humanist and one scientist who are fully and equally invested in the research project, from its inception to its completion. The aim here is to encourage awardees to think outside of their own disciplinary perspectives, and to broaden their research horizons in ways conducive to creative collaborations and results.
For more information on this extended deadline, please visit the Marquette University website or contact Marquette at: email@example.com.
Department of Defense
The Department of Defense has announced the following new funding opportunities:
Department of the Army - USAMRAA
DoD Orthotics and Prosthetics Outcomes Research Award
U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) for Extramural Medical Research - Dept. of the Army -- USAMRAA — W81XWH-BAA-15-1
Opening date: October 1, 2014
Closing date: September 30, 2015
Pre-Proposals:Applicants are encouraged to submit their Pre-Proposals as early as possible in the fiscal year as funding is based on availability
Invitation to Submit: within 120 days of pre-proposal submission
Full Proposals: submitted within 90 days of the invitation
Notice of Awards: within 180 days of submission
Funding: Budgets are not capped and must reflect the scope of the work. Funding can be requested for up to 5 years.
Programs of interest:
1. Military Infectious Diseases Research
2. Combat Casualty Care Research
3. Military Operational Medicine Research
4. Clinical and Rehabilitative Medicine Research
5. Medical Biological Defense Research
6. Medical Chemical Defense Research
7. Medical Training and Health Information Sciences
8. Radiation Health Effects Research
9. Special Investment Areas
Office of Strategic Initiatives (OSI): CWRU School of Medicine's OSI can work with you to make sure that you meet the current goals and objectives of the USAMRMC.
Contact OSI: Irene Shaland - firstname.lastname@example.org - 216.368.4970.
If you have news or information that you wish to have included in this
update, please send it via e-mail to Tracy Wilson-Holden at
email@example.com no later than
5 pm on the Monday of the week that the update is to be distributed. If you
know of individuals who may be interested in receiving this update, please forward this e-mail to them. To subscribe or unsubscribe
to Case Research News, email your request to Tora Williams at
Please note: At the time of this transmission, all links functioned.
However, Case Research News cannot guarantee that the information will not move or be