Department of Defense
The Department of Defense has announced the following new funding opportunities:
Department of the Army - USAMRAA
DoD Orthotics and Prosthetics Outcomes Research Award
U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) for Extramural Medical Research - Dept. of the Army -- USAMRAA — W81XWH-BAA-15-1
Opening date: October 1, 2014
Closing date: September 30, 2015
Pre-Proposals:Applicants are encouraged to submit their Pre-Proposals as early as possible in the fiscal year as funding is based on availability
Invitation to Submit: within 120 days of pre-proposal submission
Full Proposals: submitted within 90 days of the invitation
Notice of Awards: within 180 days of submission
Funding: Budgets are not capped and must reflect the scope of the work. Funding can be requested for up to 5 years.
Programs of interest:
1. Military Infectious Diseases Research
2. Combat Casualty Care Research
3. Military Operational Medicine Research
4. Clinical and Rehabilitative Medicine Research
5. Medical Biological Defense Research
6. Medical Chemical Defense Research
7. Medical Training and Health Information Sciences
8. Radiation Health Effects Research
9. Special Investment Areas
Office of Strategic Initiatives (OSI): CWRU School of Medicine's OSI can work with you to make sure that you meet the current goals and objectives of the USAMRMC.
Contact OSI: Irene Shaland - email@example.com - 216.368.4970.
National Multiple Sclerosis Society
The Barancik Prize for Innovation in Multiple Sclerosis Research recognizes an exceptional scientist or a team of scientists whose work in MS research has demonstrated outstanding innovation and originality.
The prize is administered by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. A selection committee comprised of leaders in science, medicine, and MS advocacy will review nominees. The committee will evaluate:
• Exceptional innovation and originality in scientific research relevant to MS
• Impact and potential of the research to lead to pathways for the treatment and cure for MS
• Scientific accomplishments that merit recognition as a future leader in MS research
For more information and guidelines , visit the Society’s website.
Ohio Third Frontier (OTF), Ohio Development Services Agency
The goal of the Ohio Third Frontier Technology Validation and Start-Up Fund (TVSF) is to increase economic growth in Ohio through start-up companies that commercialize technologies developed by Ohio institutions of higher education and other Ohio not-for-profit research institutions. Two separate mechanisms have been set up to achieve these goals:
Phase 1 –Technology Validation The specific objectives of this phase are as follows:
• To generate the proof needed to move technology to the point that it is either ready to be licensed by an Ohio start-up company or otherwise deemed unfeasible for commercialization.
• To fund validation activities, such as prototyping, demonstrations, and assessment of critical failure points in subsequent development, scale-up, and commercialization.
Phase 2 – Start-Up Funds The specific objectives of this phase are as follows:
• To support Ohio start-up companies that have licensed technology developed at Ohio research institutions during the critical early life of the company, and accelerate the time to market of this technology.
• To generate the proof needed to either commercialize the technology or move the technology to the point where additional funds needed for commercialization can be raised.
• To fund activities in order to generate the needed proof.
The TVSF will support technology that falls within the following areas: Advanced Materials related to advanced polymers, ceramics, composites, carbon fibers and nanotubes and specialty metals and alloys; Aeropropulsion Power Management; Agribusiness and Food Processing; Fuel Cells and Energy Storage; Medical Technology related to imaging, surgical instruments/equipment, implant devices, and regenerative medicine; Software Applications for business and healthcare; Sensing and Automation Technologies; Situational Awareness and Surveillance Systems; Solar Photovoltaics; and Shale.
Potential CWRU Applicants - Contact:
Michael Haag, MS, MBA, Executive Director, Technology Management, 216-368-6106 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the TVSF visit the Ohio Third Frontier website.
SPARTA System Used for All External Funding Proposals
When seeking external support for research and other sponsored projects, a funding proposal must be entered in Sparta.
Sparta is not just for federal funding. It is also to be used for foundation funding, state awards, and contracts with industry sponsors. University personnel cannot negotiate agreements with industry until a funding proposal is entered in Sparta. In addition, a funding proposal must be entered online even when applications are made directly to a foundation.
Please consult with the Office of Research Administration or the SOM Office of Grants and Contracts if you need assistance entering a funding proposal online.
Office of Research Administration: https://research.case.edu/index.cfm
Office of Grants & Contracts in SOM: http://casemed.case.edu/grantscontracts/
Sparta System: https://sparta.case.edu/
Department of Defense
The Fiscal Year 2014 (FY14) Defense Appropriations Act provides research funding for the peer reviewed programs managed by the Department of Defense (DOD) office of Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP).
Gulf War Illness Research Program (GWIRP)
Innovative Treatment Evaluation Award 2
Breast Cancer Research Program (BCRP)
Breakthrough Award Funding Levels 1 and 2
Breakthrough Award Funding Levels 3 and 4
If you have news or information that you wish to have included in this
update, please send it via e-mail to Tracy Wilson-Holden at
email@example.com no later than
5 pm on the Monday of the week that the update is to be distributed. If you
know of individuals who may be interested in receiving this update, please forward this e-mail to them. To subscribe or unsubscribe
to Case Research News, email your request to Tora Williams at
Please note: At the time of this transmission, all links functioned.
However, Case Research News cannot guarantee that the information will not move or be