Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Simmons Foundation
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Simmons Foundation have partnered to create a new program, the 2016 Faculty Scholar Program, designed to support early-career scientists. The Faculty Scholars competition is open to basic researchers and physician scientists at more than 220 eligible institutions, including Case Western Reserve. The competition seeks scholars who will apply molecular, genetic, computational and theoretical approaches to fundamental problems in diverse areas of biology.
• PhD and/or MD (or the equivalent).
• Tenured or tenure-track position as an assistant professor or higher academic rank at an eligible U.S. institution, or, if at an eligible institution that has no tenure track, an appointment that reflects a significant institutional commitment. Federal government employees are not eligible.
• More than 4, but no more than 10, years of post-training, professional experience. To meet this requirement, the applicant’s post-training, professional experience must have begun no earlier than June 1, 2005, and no later than July 1, 2011.
• Principal investigator or Co-Principal investigator on at least one active, nationally competitive grant with an initial term of two or more years at some point from April 1, 2013 through July 1, 2015. Career development grants qualify. Multi-investigator grants may qualify.
• Up to 70 awardees will receive non-renewable grants ranging from $100k to $400k per year over 5 years ($500k - $2M per award).
• Faculty Scholars are required to devote at least 50% of their total effort to the direct conduct of research.
• Scholars conducting research at the interface of the biological and physical sciences are encouraged to apply.
• Scholars studying biological questions emerging from and applicable to global human health problems, including malaria, tuberculosis, HIV, and other diseases that disproportionately affect individuals living in low resource settings are encouraged to apply
• Women and minorities under-represented in the biomedical and biological sciences are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline: July 28, 2015
For more information visit the Howard Hughes Medical Institute website.
New Video and Quiz Available for CREC
Engaging in Cultural Competence through Awareness, Knowledge and Action
Watch the video and take the quiz for credit!
Visits by Federal Law Enforcement Officers
Many federal law enforcement agencies have university liaison programs. If you receive a visit or other contact from a federal law enforcement officer, the CWRU Compliance Office reminds you to first request identification and then to immediately contact the CWRU Office of General Counsel, 368-4286. The Office of General Counsel will communicate directly with the agency to ensure that any inquiries are addressed completely and appropriately.
Questions? Contact Lisa Palazzo (368.5791) or Boyd Kumher (368.0833) in the CWRU Compliance Office.
The Vilcek Foundation is seeking applicants for the 2016 Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise in Biomedical Science. They are accepting applications from young, foreign-born researchers age 38 and under from now through June 15, 2015. Three winners will each receive a $50,000 unrestricted cash prize and will be honored at an awards ceremony in New York City in April 2016.
Application Deadline: June 15, 2015.
For more information visit the Vilcek Foundation webpage.
Research ShowCASE 2015 - Save the Date, Download the App
Friday, April 17, 2015
9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Veale Convocation Center
Download the CWRU Research ShowCASE 2015 Mobile App and start planning your visit.
Once you've downloaded the app, you can:
- Select Guidebook from the Apple App Store or Android Marketplace or visit http://guidebook.com/getit from your smartphone
- Search under “Schools” and choose “Case Western Reserve University”
- Choose “Research ShowCASE 2015”
- Start exploring!
- View the Schedule of Events
- Search for posters of interest
- Map out the posters you want to see
- Take one of our pre-defined “Journeys” to view posters on specific topics
- See where to park
- See our sponsors
Check us out:
Like us on FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/CWRUResearchShowcase
Tweet about us using #CWRUShowCASE2015
On the web at http://showcase.case.edu.
If you have news or information that you wish to have included in this
update, please send it via e-mail to Tracy Wilson-Holden at
email@example.com no later than
5 pm on the Monday of the week that the update is to be distributed. If you
know of individuals who may be interested in receiving this update, please forward this e-mail to them. To subscribe or unsubscribe
to Case Research News, email your request to Tora Williams at
Please note: At the time of this transmission, all links functioned.
However, Case Research News cannot guarantee that the information will not move or be