Research ShowCASE 2015 - Save the Date, Download the App
Friday, April 17, 2015
9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Veale Convocation Center
Download the CWRU Research ShowCASE 2015 Mobile App and start planning your visit.
Once you've downloaded the app, you can:
- Select Guidebook from the Apple App Store or Android Marketplace or visit http://guidebook.com/getit from your smartphone
- Search under “Schools” and choose “Case Western Reserve University”
- Choose “Research ShowCASE 2015”
- Start exploring!
- View the Schedule of Events
- Search for posters of interest
- Map out the posters you want to see
- Take one of our pre-defined “Journeys” to view posters on specific topics
- See where to park
- See our sponsors
Check us out:
Like us on FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/CWRUResearchShowcase
Tweet about us using #CWRUShowCASE2015
On the web at http://showcase.case.edu.
Department of Defense
The Department of Defense has announced the following new funding opportunities:
Department of the Army - USAMRAA
DoD Ovarian Cancer Clinical Translational Award
DoD Ovarian Cancer Investigator-Initiated Research Award
DoD Ovarian Cancer Academy - Early-Career Investigator Award
DoD Ovarian Cancer Pilot Award
Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
The Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
is soliciting applications for Offender Reentry Program (ORP) grants. The purpose of the ORP program is to expand and/or enhance substance use disorder treatment and related recovery and reentry services to sentenced substance-abusing adult offenders/ex-offenders who are returning to their families and community from incarceration in state and local facilities including prisons, jails, or detention centers. Applicants are expected to form stakeholder partnerships that will plan, develop and provide a transition from incarceration to community-based substance abuse treatment and related reentry services. Because reentry transition must begin in the correctional facility before release, limited funding may be used for certain activities in institutional correctional settings in addition to the expected community-based services.
Application Deadline: May 26, 2015
For more information visit the Grants.Gov website.
Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI)
Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) seeks to fund pragmatic clinical trials, large simple trials, or large-scale observational studies that compare two or more alternatives for addressing prevention, diagnosis, treatment, or management of a disease or symptom; improving healthcare system-level approaches to managing care; or eliminating health or healthcare disparities.
Proposed studies must address critical clinical choices faced by patients, their caregivers, clinicians, and/or delivery systems. They must involve broadly representative patient populations and be large enough to provide precise estimates of hypothesized effectiveness differences, and to support evaluation of potential differences in treatment effectiveness in patient subgroups.
For this solicitation, PCORI is requiring that relevant patient organizations, professional organizations, and/or payer or purchaser organizations be included as partners and active participants in the study. PCORI expects that most awards will be made for study designs that use randomization, either of individual participants or clusters, to avoid confounding bias. However, we recognize that exceptional opportunities may arise, by virtue of natural experiments and/or the existence of large registries, to address pragmatic questions using observational designs.
Deadline for Letter of Intent: May 1, 2015
Deadline for Application: July 31, 2015
For more information visit the PCORI webpage.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Simmons Foundation
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Simmons Foundation have partnered to create a new program, the 2016 Faculty Scholar Program, designed to support early-career scientists. The Faculty Scholars competition is open to basic researchers and physician scientists at more than 220 eligible institutions, including Case Western Reserve. The competition seeks scholars who will apply molecular, genetic, computational and theoretical approaches to fundamental problems in diverse areas of biology.
• PhD and/or MD (or the equivalent).
• Tenured or tenure-track position as an assistant professor or higher academic rank at an eligible U.S. institution, or, if at an eligible institution that has no tenure track, an appointment that reflects a significant institutional commitment. Federal government employees are not eligible.
• More than 4, but no more than 10, years of post-training, professional experience. To meet this requirement, the applicant’s post-training, professional experience must have begun no earlier than June 1, 2005, and no later than July 1, 2011.
• Principal investigator or Co-Principal investigator on at least one active, nationally competitive grant with an initial term of two or more years at some point from April 1, 2013 through July 1, 2015. Career development grants qualify. Multi-investigator grants may qualify.
• Up to 70 awardees will receive non-renewable grants ranging from $100k to $400k per year over 5 years ($500k - $2M per award).
• Faculty Scholars are required to devote at least 50% of their total effort to the direct conduct of research.
• Scholars conducting research at the interface of the biological and physical sciences are encouraged to apply.
• Scholars studying biological questions emerging from and applicable to global human health problems, including malaria, tuberculosis, HIV, and other diseases that disproportionately affect individuals living in low resource settings are encouraged to apply
• Women and minorities under-represented in the biomedical and biological sciences are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline: July 28, 2015
For more information visit the Howard Hughes Medical Institute website.
If you have news or information that you wish to have included in this
update, please send it via e-mail to Tracy Wilson-Holden at
firstname.lastname@example.org no later than
5 pm on the Monday of the week that the update is to be distributed. If you
know of individuals who may be interested in receiving this update, please forward this e-mail to them. To subscribe or unsubscribe
to Case Research News, email your request to Tora Williams at
Please note: At the time of this transmission, all links functioned.
However, Case Research News cannot guarantee that the information will not move or be